Skip to Content

Bushfire Housing Assistance Service

Have you been affected by the bushfire crisis and need housing assistance?

The NSW Government has established the Bushfire Housing Assistance Service to support people who are temporarily or permanently displaced as a result of the NSW bushfires.

The Service is available for all people across the state affected by the recent bushfires.

How we can help?

The Bushfire Housing Assistance Service can help with:

  • Emergency temporary accommodation
  • Assistance with a private rental bond and advance rent costs
  • Sourcing accommodation options from the private rental and short term housing sector
  • Assistance with sourcing accommodation options in your local communities or in areas where you have family or local networks

How do I access this service?

You can access this service several ways:

  • Call the Disaster Welfare Assistance Line on 1800 018 444
  • Contact or visit your local Department of Communities and Justice Housing office Find a Housing Office

Need a Support Service now?

If you have access to a smart phone or computer, you can search for support services and agencies by using the Ask Izzy website. This is a free, anonymous web site, available 24/7 with information on health, financial, counselling, food and support assistance in your local area.

AskIzzy is free to use for Telstra customers even if you don’t have credit.

To access go to:

Tenants Union of NSW

The Tenants Union NSW has developed a disaster damage factsheet that provides useful information for those renting in the private rental market that may be affected by a natural disaster.

This and other resources about renting and the law is available on

Was this content useful?
Last updated: 10 Jan 2020