Author, comedian and media personality Jean Kittson, has taken out top honours at the Ministerial Advisory Council on Ageing (MACA) Media Awards, for her commitment to giving seniors a voice.
Minister for Seniors Geoff Lee congratulated the author of We Need to Talk About Mum and Dad and You’re Still Hot To Me on her Gold MACA award.
“Ms Kittson doesn’t hold back on exploring the reality of ageing in a pragmatic and humorous way, including traditionally taboo topics like menopause,” Mr Lee said.
“Her efforts urge us to continue to empower seniors to lead healthy, financially secure and socially engaged lives.”
Six MACA awards were presented at a ceremony in Sydney tonight across the categories: Advertisements, Responding in Crisis, Images, Influencers, Health and Lifestyle, News and Current Affairs.
Mr Lee applauded the winners: Seniors Rights Service, ABC 7:30, Lisa White, Jane Caro, Network Ten’s The Project and Muriel Porter.
“Our recipients spark important conversations on the successes and challenges of older people, which promotes understanding and respect,” Mr Lee said.
“There are powerful images of love through dementia, a fiery speech on ageism that went viral and a video series covering three decades of exceptional seniors.”
MACA Chair Kathryn Greiner said nuanced reporting on older people is essential when under seven per cent of news reports feature seniors.
“Seniors are the wise elders, carers, role models and leaders who enrich our communities and their voices need to be heard,” Ms Greiner said.
2021 MACA Media Award Winners:
- Advertisements: Stop Financial Abuse, Seniors Rights Service
- Responding in Crisis: Dr Fiona Stanley on how COVID-19 is changing Australia, ABC 7:30
- Images: Dementia Trail – first love, Lisa White
- Influencers: I’m neither optimistic nor pessimistic – I’m fired by fury, Jane Caro
- Health and Lifestyle: Smart Steps, The Project, Network Ten
- News and Current Affairs: When Alzheimer's Disease came for my husband, I was left like a widow who cannot mourn, Muriel Porter
- Gold MACA: Jean Kittson
For more information, visit: www.facs.nsw.gov.au/inclusion/advisory-councils/maca/media-awards