Find a JP

JP Public Register

You can find a Justice of the Peace (JP) using the online Public Register. You can search by postcode, name of a JP, day of availability, language spoken and JP registration number.

The register lists a JP’s location, availability and telephone number. Please note that JPs are volunteers and may not be available at all times.

For help using the JP Public Register, read the guide JP Public Register - Find a JP (PDF, 349.7 KB)

Scheduled JP services

Due to changing restrictions issued by the NSW Government a number of JPs and JP scheduled desk locations may not be operational. Please contact the JP or service desk location first before attending.

Please remember that JPs are providing a free service and they generously volunteer their time. If a JP is unavailable due to restrictions under Public Health Orders or if they feel that their health or the health of a member of their household could be placed at risk, they will decline to provide service.

JP services are not classed as essential services by the NSW Government.

There have been recent cases where JPs and the staff on the JP Infoline have endured abuse from people seeking JP services. This behaviour is unacceptable and will not be tolerated. All JPs and JP support staff must be treated with respect.

The Department currently recommends the use of Audio Visual Link to perform JP services remotely where possible. Read how to witness legal documents remotely .

Read the Official information about Coronavirus (COVID-19) from the NSW Government.

Many organisations make JPs available at scheduled times and locations. This may include your local council, court, library, chemist, post office or police station.

If you are an organisation that provides scheduled JP services, you can notify us of any additions or changes to your listing by emailing

Interpreter services

If you have difficulty reading or understanding written English, both you and the JP are required to use an interpreter when you sign a statutory declaration or affidavit. This applies even if the JP speaks your language.

The interpreter should be accredited through the National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters (NAATI). For a list of accredited interpreters, please visit

You can also access interpreter and translation services from:

Multicultural NSW
Phone: 02 8255 6767

Translating and Interpreting Service
Phone: 131 450

Statutory declaration by an interpreter

Suggested wording for a statutory declaration by an accredited interpreter or by other interpreters can be downloaded from NSW Statutory Declaration Forms.

Legal help

If you need information to help with a legal problem, please contact LawAccess NSW. You can call LawAccess NSW on 1300 888 529.


Last updated:

02 Sep 2023

Was this content useful?
We will use your rating to help improve the site.
This field is required
Please don't include personal or financial information here
This field is required
Please don't include personal or financial information here

We acknowledge Aboriginal people as the First Nations Peoples of NSW and pay our respects to Elders past, present, and future. 

Informed by lessons of the past, Department of Communities and Justice is improving how we work with Aboriginal people and communities. We listen and learn from the knowledge, strength and resilience of Stolen Generations Survivors, Aboriginal Elders and Aboriginal communities.

You can access our apology to the Stolen Generations.

Top Return to top of page Top